Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Book Publishing Secrets with A.A. Freda, Author of 'A Police Action'

Name: AA Freda
Book Title: A Police Action
Genre: Coming of Age/Historical Fiction
Publisher: Dorrance
Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
AA­­––I just love writing and have several manuscripts done. Instead of letting them sit on the shelf gathering dust, I decided to publish my work and have the public take a look at my creations. 
Is this your first book?
AA––No this is my second. My first was Goodbye Rudy Kazoody. Another coming of age about teenagers growing up in New York City. It received excellent critical reviews and was a Readers Favorite award winner in Urban Fiction. It is sometimes compared to an earlier novel and movie called Sleepers.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
AA––I independently published. This is the quickest way to market. I want to share my works. I believe I write a good quality product and I want people to enjoy my stories.
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
AA––There are many talented people in independent publishing. I have enjoyed working with them in developing my stories. Unfortunately, few of the independents have any kind of marketing background. The marketing has been the most frustrating.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
AA––Ask to be paid what you believe your book is worth. Too many people are giving out freebies or $ .99 cent ebooks. I believe my stories are worth a whole lot more than a mere 99 cents.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
AA––Yes, provided that you are willing to put in the time and effort into marketing. At the end of the day this is a business, treat the books as such.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
AA––Two pieces of advice. One-be persistent, don’t worry about rejection, keep pushing forward. Two-be honest in your writing. Make sure the readers get their money’s worth. 



No comments:

Post a Comment