Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Guest Blogger: Book Publishing Secrets of Joanna Bloss, Co-Author of GRIT FOR THE OYSTER

My secret to getting published has to do with networking. I collaborated with three other authors for our book Grit for the Oyster. My introduction to this project ultimately came through an email I received almost ten years ago. That email came from an editor (who now is a friend and co-author) asking my permission to reprint one of my magazine articles. Faith (the editor) and I began corresponding and have maintained contact for many years. A couple years ago Faith attended a writer's conference and met Suzanne, (who roomed with the other author, Deb) who shared with her the vision for Grit. Faith thought I'd make a great addition to the team and Suzanne was game. It was Suzanne who introduced me to my next publisher, who invited me to submit a writing sample. That publisher hired me to contribute to several of their anthologies, and eventually asked me to write a book.

For me, it's all about networking--connecting with fellow writers and taking advantage of the little opportunities that have come my way. I've learned not to sneeze at little opportunities. It's amazing how the so-called coincidental contacts I've made over the years have opened doors to opportunities I never would have found on my own.

My best advice is to stay connected, meet people, exchange business cards and ideas, and take advantage of writing opportunities--even if they look small at the beginning. You never know what doors might open.

Joanna Bloss is co-author of GRIT FOR THE OYSTER: 250 PEARLS OF WISDOM FOR ASPIRING AUTHORS. You can visit her website at www.joannabloss.blogspot.com.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent article. Networking is also a very important part of virtual book tours.

    I'm glad you had the opportunity to participate in "Grit for the Oyster". It's a wonderful book!

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete