Wednesday, August 1, 2007

The Enchanted Self's Publishing Roller Coaster Story

Hi, I'm Dr Barbara Becker Holstein, Positive Psychologist and author of four books, plus a book I edited for my mom, Mrs. Bernice Becker, of her short stories. My publishing journey started when I spoke at a conference about The Enchanted Self(R) concept that I had recently developed. This was back in the early 1990's. You can find out all about The Enchanted Self at http://www.enchantedself.com/. But basically in a few words, this concept, probably the first Positive Psychology system for women, involves a central premise. The premise is that we feel happier, enjoy life more, have inspiration, passion and success, if we draw from our own strengths, talents, coping skills and potential as we go through our daily living. This means knowing who we are in a positive way, recognizing what is right about ourselves, not what is wrong.

All of my books, web teaching, articles, workshops, etc. since that time have been inspired by The Enchanted Self. That even includes my newest book, THE TRUTH, I'm Ten, I'm Smart and I Know Everything!

But back to my story. An acquisition's editor from an academic press, Gordon and Breach, came up to me at that conference and we began to talk. She felt that my Enchanted Self material had the makings of an academic book. I was delighted but a little shocked. Long story short, she worked with me over several months to develop the outline, begin the first chapters, etc. Kathleen O'Malley was wondeful and I am forever grateful. That book came out about two years later after many adventures, including being printed but waiting in the belly of a ship for months off the coast of Singapore. When I finally had THE ENCHANTED SELF, A Positive Therapy in my hands I was practically ecstatic You can find that book which is a wonderful easy read, even though geared to people with some understanding of the therapeutic process on my website or Amazon, etc.

I'm going to skip now to THE TRUTH, I'm Ten, I'm Smart and I Know Everything. I was so shocked when this book came to me, as it is such a different format than all my other writings. It is fiction, and an easy read. But I knew instantly I was in touch with positive universal truths that had to be shared. I also knew this was the best format-a girl's diary. I tried a couple of agents with no success. Then I couldn't hold any longer. I know this book will have wonderful adventures and I'm ready to roll. I already have the framework for a movie version and/or a play.

I just had to jump in and get started. I couldn't go through agent after agent.and loose my momentum. Thankfully, I found a wonderful women's press ready to publish it: LadyBug Press. Georgia Jones, the publisher is a great, talented woman and helped me all the way. Check out her books and internet radio shows at www.ladybuglive.com And that is most of the story. But not all-there is the wonderful professor in China who has already translated THE TRUTH into Chinese and then there is the second book in what I realize is a series-already more than half written. In the first book the girl is 10-11 and in the second book she is 12-14 and still teaching us wisdom and reminding us of all we can be.

My words of wisdom are to stick to your dreams but always be ready to think and create your book into a reality, our of the box!

Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein
Author, THE TRUTH, I'M TEN, I'M SMART AND I KNOW EVERYTHING
http://www.enchangedself.com/

***

Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment