Thursday, September 26, 2019

Book Publishing Secrets with Shami Stovall, Author of Dread Pirate Arcanist


Shami Stovall grew up in California’s central valley with a single mother and little brother. Despite no one in her family earning a degree higher than a GED, she put herself through college (earning a BA in History), and then continued on to law school where she obtained her Juris Doctorate. As a child, Stovall’s favorite novel was Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell. The adventure on a deserted island opened her mind to ideas and realities she had never given thought before—and it was at that moment Stovall realized story telling (specifically fiction) became her passion. Anything that told a story, be it a movie, book, video game or comic, she had to experience. Now, as a professor and author, Stovall wants to add her voice to the myriad of stories in the world and she hopes you enjoy.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS:







BOOK BLURB:
While protecting the newborn griffins on the Isle of Landin, Volke Savan and his adopted sister, Illia, run afoul of the Dread Pirate Calisto, the same cutthroat who carved out Illia’s right eye. As a master
manticore arcanist, Calisto’s strength and brutality are unrivaled. When Illia suggests they bring him to justice, Volke wonders if they’ll have what it takes to fight the corsairs on the high seas.

A fast-paced flintlock fantasy for those who enjoy How to Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell, Unsouled (Cradle Series) by Will Wight, and Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan.

Praise for the Frith Chronicles!

Perfect for those who enjoy the Codex Alera series, the Homas Wildus series, and the Harry Potter series. Stovall is quickly becoming a name I look for.”
Seattle Book Review

An addictive series. Shami Stovall has produced a mesmerizing story of magic, intrigue, and true adventure.”
ManyBooks

Absolutely brilliant.”
Archaeolibrarian

Now continue the Frith Chronicles with the second book, Dread Pirate Arcanist!



Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
Stovall: I decided to become an author because I have stories to tell! I love science fiction and fantasy, and I’ve read them all my life.
I penned this book specifically because I wanted to write a fun adventure novel. At the time, I was neck-deep in my sci-fi post-apocalyptic novel, The Half-Life Empire, and I wanted something to brighten my mood.
Is this your first book?
Stovall: No. I’ve written many others—crime thrillers, historical fantasy novels, space opera—and I love them all.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
Stovall: For Dread Pirate Arcanist, I went indie.
When I started out writing, I went classic traditional. I got an agent, and he sold my books to publishing houses. However, I hated everything about it. Everyone takes your royalties, the editors at these large houses want you to change a lot of stuff, and no one makes you a priority. I had to wait for anything to do get done.
As an indie author, I have complete control. I love it. I also make way more money. So, if you’re an author reading this, please at least consider going indie. It really isn’t as terrible as some people make it out to be!
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
Stovall: Like I said before, the traditional route is filled with a lot of random cons. Some things are good (they handle everything after you complete their edits) but you might as well be a number to them.
The con of indie is that everything falls to you—but I don’t mind that con. I’m self-motived, and I love interacting with fans. Plus, you meet a lot of great people when you’re in charge of the marketing, editing, and cover process.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
Stovall: I think I covered everything in the last question. I’m happy doing what I’m doing and keeping all the money for my efforts. Win-win.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
Stovall: Yes. If you have the willpower, this route is a good way to build a fan-base.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Stovall: You have to want it. Finish your novel. Pay to have it edited. Improve your craft. Read writing essays. Know how to structure a plot. Read good books and then break them down. Really understand how other authors deliver plot twists, dialogue, and exposition.
Above all: never give up! You can do it!

Thank you again for having me, and please remember to check out Dread Pirate Arcanist!

No comments:

Post a Comment