Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Book Publishing Secrets with Ross Victory, Author of Views From the Cockpit


Ross Victory is an American Marketing professional, travel enthusiast, and author of the new memoir, Views from the Cockpit: The Journey of a Son. He spent his early years collecting pens, notepads and interviewing himself in a tape recorder. With an acute awareness for his young age, he was eager to point out hypocrisies and character inconsistencies in children and adults through English assignments. He delighted in provoking a reaction from his English teachers with writing that seemed to wink and smile. 

He enjoys writing non-fiction and fiction projects--stories of captivating, complex characters expressed in all their dimensions usually on a path to self-discovery through suffering. After the loss of his father, Ross has married his love for writing to create a compelling memoir to inspire the world. Ross received his B.S. in Business Administration & Marketing Management.



BOOK BLURB:

Views from the Cockpit: The Journey of a Son by Ross Victory is a memoir born from pain. Intimate
journal entries morph into a phenomenal dialogue of tender father-son memories, loss, strength and turbulence in a young boy’s life on his journey into manhood. When the author discovers that his father is terminally ill and a victim of elder abuse, he embarks on a journey of reflection and discovery which soars and nosedives, chapter by chapter. Decorated in airplane analogies, with writing you can feel, Views from the Cockpit serves as a catalyst for readers to take perspective of their lives from the highest point. Views is a narrative that provides emotional assurance that readers’ unique experiences of pain, love and loss cannot be recreated or erased, but can be processed in order to not lose sight of their life journeys.

★★★★★ORDER YOUR COPY★★★★★

 Barnes & Noblehttps://tinyurl.com/y2ydegrg


Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
I’ve always had a deep, deep love for writing since my earliest memory. Probably because it was the only outlet I had to express myself purely. I decided to pen this book as a way to cope with the loss of my father. Not just the loss in general, but the circumstances surrounding the loss: hidden health diagnosis, fraud and elder abuse. As I began to look those items in the mirror, I decided to revisit my thoughts and opinions about our relationship in its entirety from my earliest memories with him.
Is this your first book?
Yes, my first! Definitely won’t be my last.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
I self-published this book. I think this was the only way for me because of the material I wrote—it was not catered to one kind of reader, and I wanted to have full control of the creative process. An editor recommended earlier on that I self-publish. To him, he felt publishers wouldn’t be interested, so it seems to be working out.
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
I think I have a wasted a lot of time and money in some areas. I think I overspent in design a bit, but I am happy with the all the creative choices that have been made. Also, I was not aware of the different levels of the editing process. I spent a lot of time self-editing instead of simply writing and getting my book out. Lastly, when I do this again, I will make sure to spend more money in marketing campaigns, readings and reaching readers outside of social media.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
I have learned that everything is very transaction based. It appears that if one has the ability to simply follow up, be professional and have everything in order, any book can make it to market. I want to believe that good books get the best shine and bad books don’t last, however, if one knows where to put their time and money, and possesses strong administrative skills, they can make it to the shelf. That’s just a reality.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
I’m not really sure. I think fiction readers fall cleaner into categories that may be more successful.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Honestly, I would recommend that they keep pushing! Do not reveal that you’re working on a book until you are 90% done. People have a way to subtly put doubt in your mind when you share large scale projects. Lastly, write for yourself and make adjustments letter. Do not write for an audience or group. Write truth first and scale back later.


No comments:

Post a Comment