Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Book Publishing Secrets with Anna del Mar, Author of the Romantic Suspense 'The Guardian'

Name: Anna del Mar
Book Title: The Guardian
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: Mermaid Press
Find out more:

Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
Anna: I became an author because I couldn’t stop writing. I tried, believe me. I didn’t think I was cut out for the life of a starving artist. But the stories kept coming. So I had to give them a chance.

The story that became The Guardian was born out of my travels to Africa. The Serengeti is one of the most beautiful, awe inspiring places in the world and the diverse, dynamic people of Africa stole my heart. If you’d like to see the images that inspired many of the pivotal scenes in The Guardian, click here to see my pictures of Africa.

Looking back, there was never a chance I’d lived through such a transforming experience and not incorporate it into my romantic suspense stories. I had to share my journey with my readers.

Is this your first book?
Anna: This is actually my sixth romance novel. It comes on the heels of The Asset  and The Stranger. It’s also the third book of my romantic suspense Wounded Warrior Series. But each novel is a standalone journey. It’s pretty cool. You can read them in whichever order you wish.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
Anna: My first four novels were published by Harlequin. But for The Guardian, I chose to go Indie. I think it’s smart for an author to diversify. In this day and age, hybrid authors have more freedom all around.
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
Anna: I started my romance writing career with a large publisher and I loved it. It’s a great strategy to gain readership and experience. But I have to say that I’m also loving my Indie journey. I love the freedom of writing and publishing a novel exactly as I think it should be done. There’s great creative freedom to the Indie process. It’s actually quite liberating.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
Anna: I’ve learned patience, perseverance and grit. I’ve also learned to be true to myself and my stories.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
Anna: Absolutely! The more doors you open for yourself, the more opportunities you’ll have.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Anna: Write, write a lot. Find a top-of-the line editor that knows your genre and listen carefully. If your editor doesn’t get it, neither will your reader. Work hard to polish your manuscript and don’t let rejection kill your writing. Change is par for the course. So embrace change and go after what you want.

//////////////
About the book:
From the Amazon Bestseller author of The Asset and The Stranger, comes The Guardian.

Game Warden Matthias Hawking is a decorated ex-SEAL engaged in a grueling fight against ruthless poachers in Africa. He’s short on resources and long on enemies. There’s a price on his head. The last thing he needs is the unexpected arrival of a beautiful but stubborn journalist threatening to uncover his secrets, an alpha female challenging his alpha male and getting into trouble, a hurricane wearing boots.

Jade Romo is a veteran of several different kinds of war. She’s survived her heroin-addicted mother, the foster care system, and the conflict in Afghanistan. Jade’s tough, confident, cynical, and self-reliant, a woman who doesn’t believe in forevers. But when she defies the poachers and lands at the top of the warlord’s kill list, she’s forced to rely on the skilled, attractive but supremely infuriating game warden who has captivated her body’s undivided attention.

Haunted by his past but driven by his courage, her mysterious guardian will do anything in his power to protect the woman who has captured his heart.


1 comment:

  1. Hello there! I stopped by to thank you for featuring this interview in Book Publishing Secrets. I enjoyed sharing some of my publishing secrets with your readers.

    ReplyDelete