Friday, August 28, 2015

Book Publishing Secrets with Sci-fi Author Ken Lizzi

Name: KenLizzi
Book Title: Under Strange Suns
Genre: Science Fiction
Publisher: Twilight Times Books
Read Chapter One 

Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
Ken: That’s two questions, isn’t it? I decided to become an author because I had to. I had stories in me and I needed to see if anyone was interested in reading them. Turns out, yes they were. As far as the genesis of this book, well you can blame Edgar Rice Burroughs. I like the Sword-and-Planet genre and wanted to try my hand at it.
Is this your first book?
Ken: No. This is my second published novel. Twilight Times Books published my first novel, Reunion, in 2014.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
Ken: I may be unfamiliar with the terminology. Isn’t small press traditional?
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
Ken: Sure. I started with short stories. Once I’d placed a couple in anthologies and cashed the checks (or transferred the PayPal funds) I felt ready to move on to writing a novel. That turned out to be a bit premature. I wasn’t ready. But I suppose I had to get a bad novel out of the way before I could write a good one. I returned to short stories for a while, then developed the idea for Reunion. I enjoyed working with Twilight Times, so it was a natural home for Under Strange Suns.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
Ken: Patience. Take the time to get it right. Shortcuts lead to inferior books.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
Ken: Yes. A good small press publisher can provide the attention a project needs.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Ken: Be consistent. Do not wait for inspiration. Sit your butt down and write on a consistent schedule.



No comments:

Post a Comment