Book Publishing Secrets with Lindy S. Hudis #books #bookpublishing

Lindy S. Hudis is an award winning filmmaker, author and actress. Lindy is a graduate of New York University, where she studied drama at Tisch School of the Arts. She also performed in a number of Off-Off Broadway theater productions while living in New York City.

She is the author of several titles, including her romance suspense novel, Weekends, her “Hollywood” story City of Toys, and her crime novel, Crashers. Her latest release, “Hollywood Underworld – A Hollywood Series” is the first installment of a crime, mystery series.

In addition, she has written several erotic short stories, including “The S&M Club”, “The Backstage Pass”, “Guitar God”, “The Guitarist”, and “The Mile High Club”.

Her short film “The Lesson”, which she wrote, produced and directed, has won numerous awards, including ‘Best Short Film’ at the Paris International Film Festival, The Beverly Hills Arthouse Film Festival and the San Fransisco International Film Festival.

She is also an actress, having appeared in the indie film Expressionism, the television daytime drama “Sunset Beach”, also “Married with Children” , “Beverly Hills 90210” and the feature film “Indecent Proposal” . She and her husband, Hollywood stuntman Stephen Hudis, have formed their own production company called Impact Motion Pictures, and have several projects and screenplays in development. She lives in California with her husband and two children.

Website & Social Media:

Website/Blog ➜  https://lindyinparadise.wordpress.com/

Twitter ➜ https://twitter.com/Lindyscribe

Facebook ➜ https://www.facebook.com/LindyScribe/

Instagram ➜ https://www.instagram.com/lindys.hudis 

Goodreads ➜ https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6470478.Lindy_S_Hudis 

📙 Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?

Lindy: I started out as an actress, I attended New York University Tisch School of the Arts and studied Drama.  I thought of the Method acting approach, and that is how I write. I know it sounds funny, but I let the characters tell me the story. I am “acting” when I bring my characters to life. They tell me what to do. As far as the subject matter goes, Hollywood is a very dramatic town. I moved to Los Angeles in the Spring of 1992 to pursue film and television work.  Back in the 90’s there was no social media or internet, so plenty of bizarre things would happen behind the scenes. I took inspiration from real life to create my story. My stories are very character driven, coming from an acting background helps me develop my


characters, so I bond with my characters. I let them tell me what they want to do. They tell me the story.

📙 Is this your first book?

Lindy: Oh, no.My other titles are CRASHERS, a crime mystery about a trio of young people who get caught up in the seamy world of auto insurance fraud. They stage car accidents to get insurance money, and events spiral out of control, of course. My husband is a professional stunt driver, so he helped me out a little. My other book, CITY OF TOYS, is based on my struggling actress days. It is about four beautiful women who live together in Hollywood. They are all aspiring actresses, and some pretty upsetting things happen to them, as they did to me. All my books are edgy, but that is what I like to do. I like to shock people. My late father-in-law was the English comedy writer Norman Hudis. He wrote for BBC television writing the “Carry On” series. He also wrote for American television shows back in the 70’s. He told me I was a “good commercial writer”, and that is all I needed to hear!

📙With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?

Lindy: I have a love/hate relationship with small publishers. On the one hand, some of the people I have met have been great and very generous when it comes to giving new authors a chance to get their stories told. On the other hand, I have been lied to, scammed out of money, and been ripped off in other ways. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!

📙Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?

Lindy: The pros are I believe the industry is changing and more indie authors are getting out there and people are reading their books. The cons? Just like Hollywood there are sharks out there swimming in the water. Be careful.

📙What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?

Lindy: Do the work and the rest will come. You really write because you love to tell stories. If you want to be a celebrity, then go streaking down the 405 Freeway at rush hour! All kidding aside, do it because you love the craft.

📙Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?

Lindy: If you write very unusual stories then I think publishing with Amazon is a good thing. Just remember you have to promote, promote and promote! I do like the idea of promoting online. It seems that is the way to go. The Internet has exploded in the past few years. I think that online promoting is the best idea.

📙What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?

Lindy: Stay positive, don’t listen to the naysayers, write what you are passionate about and hold onto your wallet…. tightly! The experience was fun, exhausting but fun. I learned a whole lot. Advice? Persistence. That is the name of the game.

Release Date: August 4, 2021

Publisher: Project X Publishing

ASIN: B09C13582Y; 409 pages, paperback $10.99, eBook $.99, KU Free

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Underworld-Lindy-S-Hudis-ebook/dp/B09C13582Y

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment