Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Book Publishing Secrets with Roger Stark #books #bookpublishing

I am, by my admission, a reluctant writer. But some stories demand to be told. When we hear them, we must pick up our pen, lest we forget and the stories are lost.

Six years ago, in a quiet conversation with my friend Marvin, I learned the tragic story his father, a WW2 B-29 Airplane Commander, shot down over Nagoya, Japan just months before the end of the war.

The telling of the story that evening by this half orphan was so moving and full of emotion, it compelled me to ask if I could write the story. The result was They Called Him Marvin.

My life has been profoundly touched in so many ways by being part of documenting this sacred story. I pray that we never forget, as a people, the depth of sacrifice that was made by ordinary people like Marvin and his father and mother on our behalf.

My career as an addiction counselor (CDP) lead me to write “The Waterfall Concept; A Blueprint for Addiction Recovery,” and co-author “Reclaiming Your Addicted Brain.”

My next project is already underway, a memoir of growing in SW Washington called “Life on a Sorta Farm.” My wife of 49 years, Susan, and I still live in that area.

We raised seven children and have eleven grandchildren. We love to travel and see the sites and cultures of the world. I still get on my bicycle whenever I can.

You can visit Roger’s website at https://theycalledhimmarvin.com/ or connect with him on Facebook or Instagram.



Lady Jane Lenwood is abandoned and alone in an empty castle in the middle of a dark twisted forest. The locals call her a witch because she has the “sight.”

When a wounded stranger is found within the gates, she is warned he carries secrets and their lives will be intertwined.

Lady Jane walks with a limp following a riding accident the night her mother left her. And had given up on having a normal life. She blames her misfortune on the current Duke of Rathborne.

Max Radley is sent by the king to find a traitor. His search leads him to Rathborne Castle and the beautiful woman living there. He must keep his identity a secret in order to find the traitor.

Lies, deception, and a grand scheme to relieve him of his wealth have the real villians framing him for treason.

Only Jane and her supernatural ability can save him, but in order to find the answer she must face her past and the feeling she has for him.

 

📙 Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?


I am, by my own admission, a reluctant writer. But there are stories that demand to to be told. When we hear them, we must pick up our pen, lest we forget and the stories be lost.

 

Six years ago, in a quiet conversation with my friend Marvin, I learned the tragic story his father, a WW2 B-29 Airplane Commander, shot down over Nagoya, Japan just months before the end of the war.

The telling of the story that evening by this half orphan was so moving and full of emotion, it compelled me to ask if I could write the story. The result being “They Called Him Marvin.” 

📙 Is this your first book?

In my “previous” life, I worked as an Addiction Counselor, as a result of that experience I wrote two recovery books, “The Waterfall Concept” and “Recovering Your Addicted Brain”


📙With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?

I self published both of my recovery titles, so self publishing seemed like the way to go.


📙Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?

Because of my previous experience I wasn’t afraid of self publishing (under the name of Silver Star Publishing.) I have come to learn that marketing a work of creative non fiction is much different than marketing a Recovery book. There is a great deal of information available about the process, but I have learned the learning curve is steep.

And of course, expensive. By using a traditional publisher that cost and the expertise would be provided by others. 

📙What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?

My no brainer observation is that the business of book publishing has been under going major changes. What was true just a few years ago is not true today. Staying ahead of the game and on the edge of the changes is a key.  There are many, many resources for self publishing, which is a very positive thing. The learning curve can be challenging!

📙Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?

Yes, but do a lot of research and get as many allies on your team as possible.


📙What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?

Get good at your craft, and be ready to work very hard!


No comments:

Post a Comment