Monday, October 14, 2019

Book Publishing Secrets with Deborah Serani Author of The Ninth Session


Deborah Serani is an award-winning author and psychologist who has been in practice for thirty years. She is also a professor at Adelphi University and is a go-to media expert for psychological issues. Her interviews can be found in Newsday, Psychology Today, The Chicago Tribune, The New York Times, The Associated Press, and affiliate radio programs at CBS and NPR, among others. Dr. Serani has also been a technical advisor for the NBC television show, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. The recurring character, Judge D. Serani, was named after her.

WEBSITE & SOCIAL LINKS






About the Book:



Title: THE NINTH SESSION: A PSYCHOLOGICAL SUSPENSE NOVEL
Author: Deborah Serani
Publisher: TouchPoint Press
Pages: 190
Genre: Psychological Suspense/Thriller

BOOK BLURB:
Dr. Alicia Reese, a recent widow and a CODA – a child of Deaf Adults, takes on a new patient. Lucas Ferro reveals the reason for his consultation is that he wasn't really open with his previous therapist. After gaining Reese’s trust, he shares aspects of his life that are clearly disturbing – experiences that create anxiety and panic, but also reveal horrifying psychopathology. Instead of referring Ferro elsewhere, Reese chooses to continue working with him, feeling reinvigorated by the challenge of his case.     
     
As sessions progress, and Ferro’s disclosures become more menacing, Reese finds herself wedged between the cold hard frame of professional ethics and the integrity of personal truth – and learns just how far she’s willing to go, willing to risk and willing to lose to do the right thing.

★★★★★ORDER YOUR COPY★★★★★

Amazon → https://tinyurl.com/y6qz2sto


Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
I’ve had this story in my mind for a decade or more. I love writing and enjoyed the process of getting the story, the characters and the plot twists on paper. I’m a teacher at heart, so this story, like many of my other books, has a subject to showcase.  
Is this your first book?
No, this is my fifth book. I’ve got two more I’m working on.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
I tried to get an agent, but that wasn’t an easy thing to do. In fact, I’d say it was exhausting. I felt as if finding an agent whose interests perfectly dovetailed exactly with my writing was a near-impossible task. And when I did find an agent, she wanted me to shift the story this way. Or add this piece. Or take out this and spin things that way. It felt like my story was being edited to “sell” and no longer reflected my own voice. So, I fired the agent and decided to go the Indie route. It took a long time to get the novel back to my own voice again. But once I did, I began emailing independent publishers with a short query. And I finally found an editor that wanted my work in their publishing house. You have more control of your narrative when you work with Indie publishers. The integrity of your story seems to hold more value and respect. And your unique voice as a writer is celebrated.  At least, that’s been my experience with the three different Indie publishers where my books call home.
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
See above. I think I kinda wrote about that there.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
My take away in this journey as an author is that many good and great writers encounter hardship finding publishers and/or agents. It can feel frustrating and dash long-held dreams when you realize how hard it is. But once you realize there are other ways to go, your dreams as an author can be realized. I’ve found that talking with other authors offers great support. And it was through such conversations that I learned about Indie publishing. Going Indie has been a very meaningful experience for me and I’m glad I went that route.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
I definitely would!
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
Surround yourself with people who believe in your talent. Have trusted others read your work, so they can offer you constructive criticism. An then perfect your craft from suggestions or comments you get. When it comes to publishing, consider all avenues. And learn about them all. Consider traditional. Indie. Or Self-Publishing. Find what works best for you. And keep writing. Always keep writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment