Thursday, January 17, 2019

Book Publishing Secrets with Thriller/Suspense Author Rob Kaufman @robkaufmanct #publishing #getpublished


As a child, Rob Kaufman was always fascinated by the stories recited by those around him and the words used to tell them. As he got older, his need to tell his own stories grew, as did his ability to share them in exciting and captivating ways.

However, he wanted to share more than just stories. His primary desire was to create characters with whom people could relate, while at the same time bringing them through a journey from which most would crumble.

His degree in Psychology was the first step toward getting beneath the surface of the people in his
life. What followed was a lifelong search for what makes people tick – what forces them to become evil when deep down in their heart of hearts, they are yearning for love. Rob’s characters walk this search with him, deep into the human psyche, creating psychological thrillers from every day events.

Rob’s second book “One Last Lie" continues to receive great praise and is selling well in both electronic and paperback formats. His current book, “A Broken Reality” is much darker than his first, with characters who hold bits and pieces of strangers he’s known, friends he’s had and personal tragedy he’s lived through.

“This book hits home for me,” says Rob. “There were a few pages that made me laugh out loud as I wrote them... and many that made me cry. And the great thing is, I’m finding that many readers of this book are experiencing the same emotions.”

Through social and other media, Rob hopes to get “A Broken Reality” into the hands of millions, so that they, too, can experience the ups, downs, twists, turns and final tragedy that has helped make this book a Five-Star contender.

Website Address: www.AuthorRobKaufman.com
Twitter Address: @RobKaufmanCT


BOOK BLURB:

On a fateful night in the dead of winter, an unimaginable tragedy changes the lives of two families forever. How will they manage to deal with reality while stopping the sociopath who is pushing them toward the edge of sanity?

When Jesse regains consciousness, he has no recollection of how he and his car wound up in a ditch. However, there's a witness: Charles Hastings, the sociopathic kidnapper who chased Danny through the brush and into the path of Jesse's car.

Hastings takes this chance to set up Jesse so he'll take the fall for both Danny's disappearance and death. And so the mind games begin--an onslaught of psychological manipulation that devastates Jesse, his wife, Danny's parents and the cops' investigation. Inexplicably, the torment continues even after the primary suspect is killed and the rollercoaster of emotions and confusion seems never-ending until the final and devastating truth is revealed.

If you like gripping, suspenseful page-turners that keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end, this is a must read!
Ten-year-old, Danny Madsen, has been missing for four days when Jesse Carlton begins his own search for his godson on a frigid, snowy night. Driving along a deserted rural road, Jesse hits a stretch of black ice at the same time Danny appears from the thicket. Unable to control the car, Jesse slams into the boy and watches helplessly as Danny's body flies back into the dark brush.

Thank you for your time in answering our questions about getting published.  Let’s begin by having you explain to us why you decided to become an author and pen this book?
I’ve been writing stories since I was a child… so becoming an author wasn’t any surprise to anyone – especially me. As far as why I decided to write “A Broken Reality”, it was because the story kept floating around in my head and wouldn’t stop until I sat down and started to type. Of course, it continued to float around within my head, but now it was taking shape.
Is this your first book?
This is my third book. My other two are, “In the Shadow of Stone” and “One Last Lie”.
With this particular book, how did you publish – traditional, small press, Indie, etc. – and why did you choose this method?
I chose Indie because it gives me more control over marketing, copy, and other decisions that a traditional publisher might make for me. Now it’s all up to me. That’s a great thing… and a bit daunting at the same time.
Can you tell us a little about your publishing journey?  The pros and cons?
The pros of publishing Indie is, as I’ve said, the control I have over the process. It’s been exciting and a bit scary at the same time. I learn as I go. Unfortunately that can lead to big (and expensive) mistakes, but I have many groups I belong to which help me get through the tough times. Having these people (i.e. Facebook groups) to lean on is a definite “pro” to self publishing. The biggest con is thinking I’m doing everything correctly and then find out, too late, I made a mistake that either cost me time, money or potential readers. Like any other business, it’s a learning process. I just wish I had more time to write my books rather than market them.
What lessons do you feel you learned about your particular publishing journey and about the publishing industry as a whole?
It’s extremely competitive. You have to use every tool available and listen to both sides of the coin before making any big decisions. There are millions of books on the market today, so how do you make yourself stand out? Besides having a great product and enticing cover and content, you need to have some marketing sense and help. I always take the help where and when I can get it and weigh all opinions before making a final decision.
Would you recommend this method of publishing to other authors?
I would try traditional publishing first, just to get a taste of the industry and the restrictions that type of publishing puts on you. If you can deal with those restrictions and it gives you more time to write, then go for it. You can always try Indie for your next book to see which method you like better.
What’s the best advice you can give to aspiring authors?
If you have an idea that you think is good and get stuck, push your way through it. There was one point in “A Broken Reality” that I couldn’t get past and I almost gave up. After careful thought, asking friends and 5 tedious months, I came up with the answer and it’s one of my best books yet. So don’t give up if you get stumped. There’s always a way through!

No comments:

Post a Comment